Easter Carrot cake loaf recipe29 Mar 2019
Carrot cake is the perfect Easter treat to enjoy with family and friends or just a hot cup of tea. This is a healthier version of the traditional carrot cake that doesn’t need eggs. Enjoy it straight from the oven as a light vegan tea cake, or drizzle with the cream cheese icing for a more traditional treat.
Easter Carrot Cake Loaf
2 medium carrots, grated
½ cup applesauce*
1/3 cup oil (canola, olive or coconut oils)
2 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1½ cups wholemeal flour
2 tspns baking powder
2 tspns cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
½ cup brown sugar
2 tbspn walnuts, chopped
2 tbspn raisins
Zest of 1 orange (retain 1 tspn to serve)
1/3 cup light cream cheese
4 tbspn icing mixture
1 tspn orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 180C, and line a small loaf tin with baking paper or grease very well).
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the first 5 (wet) ingredients and let sit at least 10 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together all remaining (dry) ingredients. Pour the wet mix into the dry mix, then stir until just combined. Take care not to overmix the batter.
4. Spoon into the prepared pan, and smooth down evenly.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. This loaf is lovely enjoyed warm straight out of the oven. If you’d like it iced, allow to cool on a wire rack for an hour or two first.
6. Whisk the cream cheese and icing mixture together until completely smooth.
7. Ice cake by drizzling it over the cake slowly and letting it run to the edges. Sprinkle with orange zest. Icing will firm up a little if the cake is refrigerated for 20 minutes prior to serving.
Place leftover iced cake in an airtight container ad keep in the fridge for 3 days. You can freeze slices without the icing for up to 2 months by wrapping them individually in plastic wrap.
*You can make ½ cup applesauce by peeling and chopping a large red apple. Simmer it in a small saucepan with ¼ cup water until soft. Mash well or puree with a stick mixer and use according to the recipe.